Sunday, November 06, 2005

Cobras, monkeys, and bears, oh my!

Brief update today, as I spent most of my time uploading and captioning photos.

I could tell we'd crossed into a very different place as we hit Uttar Pradesh, the big state just east of Delhi, where the Taj Mahal is located. For those from Michigan, the locals just call it UP. At the border checkpoint, where my driver has to stop to pay state taxes, I'm approached by my first snake charmer, as well as a man with a huge bear on a leash! I keep the windows closed. Unfortunately, no photos, as that tends to be quite expensive, and you don't want to piss someone off with a basket full of cobras.

I'll try to highlight a few photos in a future blog, but I have over a 100 fresh ones starting here, beginning with the last couple from Kolkata (guess it's been a while since I've done uploads).

Others worth checking out include some from the site of the bomb blast in Paharganj, Delhi. Also, lots of photos of Agra Fort starting here. Plus, lots of pictures of the Taj Mahal and monkeys.

In general, things are going much better. I'm seeing lots of cool stuff, though I'm not sure I'll use a driver again. It's useful for seeing things along the way, but it's just not my style. Having all your decisions made for you, being forced to go shopping all day, and getting nagged to give up vast amounts of money for things you thought you'd already paid for remind me a bit too much of another experience I've steadfastly avoided.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home